Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ahoy! Mates


In the knitting world, there are things called "Knit-a-longs," or KALs in knitting parlance. Other than Sockapalooza 2006 (where I joined 600 others in knitting a pair of socks for someone unknown to me, and receiving a pair of socks knit by someone else), I've never really joined one. There are patterns that make the KAL circuit frequently: Harry Potter Weasleys, Hourglasses, Green Gables, Jaywalker socks. I've steered clear. So what, I wonder, just possessed me to sign up for the "We Call Them Pirates" KAL, in which between January 15 and March 15 I'll be knitting either a skull hat or skull mittens along with several dozen other KALers? I swear I've had nothing stronger than green tea today.
So what will it be? The hat or the mittens? And who should get them when I'm finished as I'll look like the world's largest poser in my J Jill clothes and Dansko clogs trying to pull off a skull hat...

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

I like the idea of the mittens, Amy. My only concern is that there are *two*. I find I often leave one sock sitting around the house mateless until, say, four months later I think to knit him a friend. Maybe Dan needs a skull hat for blustery days when he's dashing into the city for a big deposition? Or might Baker? Surely the wind blows cold in Marblehead, and it would go with his tattoos. How was the knitting class??

9:32 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

You are a perfect beginning knitter, Amy! Everyone starts out knitting like they're sitting on a mine field. Tight tight tight. When you're used to it a little more, you'll loosen up. I always love talking with first-time knitters, sqeezing their stitches as tiny as possible, saying, "This is supposed to be RELAXING?" I'm so glad the class went well!

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit, I want to learn how to knit! Quilting is fine, but lugging my sewing machine out when I only can snatch about 30 minutes of work time is just not practical. Cindy, you've attempted to teach me the basics, but like Amy, my first attempts were less than stellar. I gotta find a knitting class close to home so I can get some guided practice. Not that I wouldn't like to be taught by you, but a fair distance between our homes and 3 little boys make that a little tricky. . .

9:54 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

That is a totally cool hat. I am going to call you this week to set up some knitting time. I want to knit a Harry Potter scarf.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home