Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Little Victories

The other day M was watching The Iron Giant. If you're unfamiliar with this cartoon, it's a lovely story of a boy in the 1950s who makes friends with a huge, misunderstood robot. Really, it's better than I just described. The film is based on a short story by the late Ted Hughes, former Poet Laureate of England and the estranged ex-husband of Sylvia Plath whose dalliances purportedly drove her to her untimely death.
So in the film there's a part where Hogarth, the main character, is squooshing spray whipped cream into a Twinkie. And M said, "What's he doing?" And I replied, "Adding even more whipped cream to a Twinkie." And M said, "What's a Twinkie?"
Score.
In other little victories, Teresa was the first to respond with the name of the sportcaster who would yell "Rhubarb!" (Red Barber, if you didn't know.) She's currently thinking through her cookbook options. Will it be Two Fat Ladies Ride Again? Welcome to Junior's? Stay tuned!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn! I knew who would exclaim, "Rhubarb!", but I was on vacation when these posts where put up!

Twinkies never make it into my shopping cart. We'll see if A makes it to age 5 without knowing what one is. He absolutely loves broccoli at the tender age of 13 months, so we're off to a good start.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jose said...

I forget where I heard this: it takes about 20 tastings for a persons to really warm to a food. Grownups usually do not give a new food 20 chances, but kids usually dont have a choice in the matter. So children who are exposed to many different tastes grow up to be less-presnickety-about-food adults.

By the way, Brent is done with his consulting assignment as of next friday at our company. I, among others, will miss him.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Yeah for your parenting. When Michael asked me last week who Paris Hilton was, I also felt like mom of the week!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home